November 13, 2008

Ferocious Black

This happened a couple months back, but I remembered it so I thought it's worth noting.

Orin and I had a conversation on our way to his first appointment with Dr. Gibson. It went something like this... (If I've told you this story and you can help me make it more accurate, please do so!)

Mom "Are you excited about your appointment or nervous?"

Orin "Is he black?"

Mom "What difference would that make?"

Orin "None. But black people are ferocious."

Mom "Ferocious?!"

Orin "Ferocious."

Mom "Do you know what ferocious means? Like mean, angry and violent."

Orin "Yeah. Black people are ferocious."

Mom "Hmm. There are good and bad people of every color. Do you know any white people who are ferocious?"

Orin "Yeah. My dad is sometimes."

Mom "Ok. Well, is Mark ever ferocious?"

Orin "No."

Mom "Hmm. They're both white. One is ferocious and one is not. The same with black and Indian and Asian and everyone. Color doesn't matter."

Orin. "Oh, ok."

I'm still not sure the conversation meant anything at all to him, but it was weird. His choice of words is at times bizarre.

0 comments: