December 15, 2008

ADHD

Orin’s been officially diagnosed with ADHD. His therapist hasn’t yet submitted his report to our pediatrician, so we’ve not discussed whether or not (*gulp) medication is a route we want to take at this point. I feel completely lost. There is SO MUCH information about ADHD… So many websites, So many books… It seems everyone has their own ideas about how to best manage things. Orin’s therapist has given me a bit of direction, but I want more. I want some sort of instruction manual.

The type of ADHD Orin has is “unusual” – or so I’m told. He is able to focus his attention just fine. The problem seems to be that his brain can’t figure out just what to focus on. Because of this, Orin is easily frustrated and/or overwhelmed. We’ll often find him playing in his room by himself even when there are other kids outside playing in our yard. We have a hard time getting ready for school in the mornings. He’ll enter his room intending to get dressed, but that book on his desk (or any other item or thought) distracts him and it’s as though he’s completely forgotten his original intent. Most days Orin will require endless reminders before he’s finally dressed. (In his defense – once in a while he shocks me and is dressed before I have a chance to check on him even once!)

He’s not behaving badly on purpose. I can clearly see this. I don’t know if others can see it, but I can. He is a sweet, funny, loving, affectionate, smart child. Orin is special in so many ways – as are all three of the boys. I know he’s upset and/or frustrated much of the time. He is different because of his diabetes and he has ADHD thrown on top. It’s difficult for me to figure out how and when to discipline him. When is he acting out because his blood sugar is low? Do I need to show more compassion because of the ADHD, do I treat him exactly the same as Logan and Matthew or does he need stricter guidance?
I. Simply. Don't. Know.

I know what I need to do at this point is a lot of praying. The Lord will guide me if I’m only able to put this issue in His hands. Sometimes I have a hard time handing over a big issue to an invisible person. I want to talk to someone with skin on.

2 comments:

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

As a former teacher turned mom, I'd say this: I have seen medications do WONDERS for kids. One little friend said to her momma, "Mommy, I can SEE now" meaning she could focus well enough to do her work!

As a mom, I'd say: find out if your insurance covers an eval from a pediatric neurologist. Yeah, yeah, it's expensive. BUT you'll find out exactly what area of the brain the ADHD is in (and you know ADHD is almost always linked with higher IQs). Some kids with ADD have unipolar issues where something like prozac would work; others have a different type and adderal does great things. THere's even a patch now that delivers a continous dosage all day!

If your insurance is like ours and is testy about unusual doctors, give the meds a try. In a few weeks, you'll either see a change... or not. He's smart enough, he'll be able to tell you if there's a difference. Keep a log on any behavior things you see... but with the blood sugar things... could be tough.

EX: Day one: acted like obnoxious boy: cause? being a boy
Day 2: acted like an obnoxious boy: cause? because he can
Day 3: acted really like an obnoxious boy: cause? because his brothers were too

see? oh sorry, that was MY children I was logging LOL

Will keep you in thoughts over this. I, for one, am not opposed to meds for this. If they work, great. It takes some tweaking sometimes to get the right dose. Our neighbor boy went from D average to 3.7 and honor roll after a month on Adderall. He's 16.

Pauly Z said...

I personally liked being a kid better than being a grown-up (shut-up Min). Anyhow, now all the decisions are tough and the results are our fault. On the bright side; I have no doubt you guys'll make it. And I suspect that all of this will work out for the good.