March 10, 2010

Jesus and the Strangling of Cats

It was suppertime. I was making PB&J sandwiches in the kitchen. Mark and the boys were all seated at the table, already eating. Normal conversation was happening.

Out of nowhere Matthew popped out this question.

"If Jesus was still alive would we have to strangle our cat?"

(uh...)

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at Matthew quizzically.
Matthew was asked to repeat his question.

"If Jesus was still alive now and he hadn't been killed, would we all have to strangle our cats?"

I was giggling so hard I couldn't turn around. What an interesting confusion of words.

I'm not sure who brought it to light - Mark or myself - but one of us said "Do you perhaps mean sacrifice?"

"Oooh... Yeah." says Matthew.

We all got a good laugh out of that one.

I got busy with other things and didn't think about it again until now, but I need to talk to Matthew and make sure he doesn't think people were strangling their animals way back when. Good to know he's thinking though!

0 comments: