March 10, 2010

Matthew's Homemade Megaphone

A bit of background before I go into this story...

One evening I was on the phone with my beloved hubby on his way home from work. He was in a less than wonderful mood. Something annoyed him, he was somewhat rude, I was less than pleasant back and he hung up on me. I said "Jerk". And that was that. I didn't think much of Matthew standing there.

(Really this was no big deal. By the time Mark got home the entire thing was long forgotten.)

Fast forward a week or so...

Matthew and I were sitting watching Orin's basketball practice. I had taken along some books and other activities to keep Matthew occupied. Among them were papers to draw on. Creative Mr. Matthew rolled up some of these papers into a tube-like form and began using them as a megaphone type of thing. This started out cute. He was saying things like "I saw Dad kiss Mom" and "I saw Mom hug Dad". He wasn't being too loud and actually seemed to be entertaining the other parents so I let it go.

Suddenly, I hear a huge booming voice beside me bellow out "Mom called Dad a JERK!" (emphasis on the word 'Jerk' of course.)

Everyone in the Gymnasium had to have heard it. As the surrounding parents erupted into laughter, I turned to this giggling child to try to take his homemade megaphone from him but he'd already slipped away from me.

Once again I hear "Mom called Dad a Jerk!". This time much less of a bellow, much more of a 6 year old giggly voice. Still, I had to get him settled down. Who knew what he was going to say next?!

It's a good thing I have a good relationship with my hubby. That gym full of parents could have gotten an earfull!

0 comments: